Budget Liaisons Needed for FY19 Budget Process
As part of the FY19 budget process, the Reading Public Schools will be seeking parent and community volunteers to become a budget liaison. Budget liaisons play a key role in the budget process as they develop an understanding of the FY19 budget process and then give timely communication to their school communities and peers.
The specific information regarding budget liaisons is listed below. We are looking for two parents per school (one preferably from each PTO or School Council), up to four members of the community, and two parents from the Special Education Advisory Council (SEPAC). If you are interested in becoming a budget liaison, please contact Linda Engelson, Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent at email@example.com or 781-944-5800. The deadline to submit is November 1st.
Reading Public Schools Budget Liaison Information
WHO-Community members who do not have children in the Reading Public Schools or parents who have children in the Reading Public Schools may become a budget liaison. We need two parents per school (one preferably from the PTO or School Council), up to four from the community at large and two parents to represent the Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC).
RESPONSIBILITIES-The budget liaison responsibilities are as follows:
- Participate in meetings with the Superintendent of Schools and Director of Finance from November-February to learn about the school department budget and the budget process.
- Work with the Superintendent and the Director of Finance to review, critique and give input on the budget and the budget process.
- Understand how the budget process works and be able to explain the budget and the process to other members of the community.
- Act as a liaison between the school department and their child’s school or community by reporting back to other parents and community members both formally (PTO, School Council and SEPAC meetings) and informally.
- Attend School Committee meetings and other relevant meetings during the budget deliberations in January and February.
WHEN-Meetings will begin in mid-November. The month of January is a busy month with six meetings in ten days. February will have one meeting.
The following School Committee meetings in January and February are dedicated to the FY19 budget. The Budget parents will meet prior to these meetings.
January 8, 11, 13, 16, 18, 24 (Financial Forum)
February 7 (School Committee FY19 Budget Presentation to Finance Committee Meeting)
Please note that each budget liaison does not have to attend every meeting. We would always like at least one representative from each school and community at each meeting.