Budget Parents Needed for FY18 Budget Process
As part of the FY18 budget process, the Reading Public Schools will be seeking parent volunteers to become a budget parent. Budget parents play a key role in the budget process as they develop an understanding of the FY18 budget process and then give timely communication to their school communities.
The specific information regarding budget parents is listed below. We are looking for two budget parents per school. If you are interested in becoming a budget parent, please contact Linda Engelson, Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-944-5800.
Reading Public Schools Budget Parent Information
WHO –Any parent who has children in the Reading Public Schools may become a budget parent. We need two budget parents per school and two parents to represent the Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC).
RESPONSIBILITIES-The budget parent responsibilities are as follows:
- Participate in meetings with the Superintendent of Schools and Director of Finance from December-March to learn about the school department budget and the budget process.
- Work with the Superintendent and the Director of Finance to review, critique and give input on the budget and the budget process.
- Understand how the budget process works and be able to explain the budget and the process to other community members.
- Act as a liaison between the school department and their child’s school by reporting back to other parents both formally (PTO, School Council and SEPAC meetings) and informally.
- Attend School Committee meetings and other relevant meetings during the budget deliberations in January, February, and March.
WHEN-Meetings will begin in late November/early December and will occur prior to School Committee meetings. The month of January is a busy month with one to two meetings per week. February and March will have a total of two or three meetings.
The following School Committee meetings in January, February, and March are dedicated to the FY18 budget. The Budget parents will meet at 6:00 p.m. prior to these meetings.
January 9, 12, 19, 23, 25 (Financial Forum), 26, 7:00 p.m.
March 15 (Finance Committee Meeting), 7:30 p.m.
Please note that each budget parent does not have to attend every meeting. We would always like at least one representative from each school at each meeting.