Dear Reading Public School Families:
I hope that you had an enjoyable summer. If you are new to the Reading Public Schools, welcome and thank you for choosing our community and our school district to educate your child. If you are returning, welcome back! We look forward to working with you and your family this upcoming school year.
Each year, we are required by Federal, State, and local laws and policies to distribute certain informational flyers which are meant to inform you about your rights and your child’s rights in a public school setting. In addition, we distribute pupil information cards and other forms which you are required to complete and update. These forms are important because they provide us with contact and medical information in case of an emergency, as well as, permissions that allow your child to fully participate in educational activities.
In order to conserve paper, we are only distributing to you the information that you either need to complete and return, or is required by law or school committee policy for us to distribute to you in paper copy. Those forms are attached to this cover letter. Please complete the required attached forms and return them to your child’s school no later than Friday, September 11th. Extra copies of these forms will be on the Edline link, http://www.edline.net/pages/ReadingPublicSchools/District/First_Day_Fliers.
In addition, some informational flyers will not be distributed by paper and will also be posted on the link above. The folder is called “First Day Fliers” and is located under the District Info tab on the top of our district Edline page. If you would prefer to have a paper copy of these flyers, please contact Linda Engelson, the Administrative Assistant for the Superintendent, at 781-944-5800 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please take a few moments to read these important fliers:
- School Committee Policy ACAB/ACAC on Harassment, Discrimination, Bullying and Hazing (On Edline site)-This policy has been updated to reflect the Massachusetts Anti-Bullying and Gender Equity Laws.
- Notification of Rights under FERPA-This letter describes the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which affords parents and students over 18 years of age certain rights with respect to the student’s education needs.
- Notification of Rights Under the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)-This letter explains the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA), which affords parents certain rights regarding our conducting of surveys, collection and use of information for marketing purposes, and certain physical exams.Directory Information-FERPA requires that the Reading Public Schools, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your child’s education records. However, the Reading Public Schools may disclose appropriately designated “directory information” without written consent unless you have advised the District to the contrary. This letter describes the directory information and the process and has been updated since last year.
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) and Children Families and Protection Act-This letter outlines procedures to notify parents and faculty under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) and the Children Families and Protection Act (Use of Pesticides).
- Acceptable Use Policy and Internet Safety Agreement for Students-This document explains in detail the Reading Public Schools Acceptable Use Policy and Internet Safety Agreement for Students. Parents should read this policy carefully with their child and sign on the Pupil Emergency Card. This document has been updated to reflect the changes that have occurred in the cyberbullying aspect of the Massachusetts Anti-bullying law.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Superintendent’s Office or your child’s school. We look forward to working with you and educating your child during this upcoming school year.
John F. Doherty, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools