Over the next several weeks, you will be seeing and hearing about some events that will be affecting the school district. We encourage your participation in the process by attending meetings, responding to this blog, or simply contacting the Superintendent’s Office or the Reading School Committee for more details. Described below are some of the upcoming events:
- Reading School Committee Meeting this Monday-The Reading School Committee will be meeting this Monday, October 18, at 7:00 p.m. in the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston. You can access the School Committee Agenda and Packet here. This meeting will focus on our successful METCO program and will give parents the opportunity to engage in discussion with the Reading School Committee. METCO director Jesenia Castro will be highlighting some of the accomplishments of the program including the inception of the elementary program a few years ago, the town/school collaboration in providing transportation for the high school METCO students who participate in extra-curricular and sports activities, and how elementary METCO students can now access the extended day program on Wednesdays.
- Race to the Top Application is due this week-All of the school districts in Massachusetts who are participating in the Race to the Top Federal Grant Program are required to submit their grant application this week. A description of the grant is located on the DESE Website. A draft of the Reading Race to the Top Implementation Plan is located here. This draft contains measurable outcomes for high school graduation rates and MCAS scores as outlined by the Massachusetts Race to the Top Application.
- Antibullying Plan Scheduled To Be Released November 1-A draft of the Reading Public Schools Anti-bullying plan will be released on November 1st for public comment. We encourage parents and community members to give input on the antibullying plan, which will need to be submitted to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education no later than December 31st.
- Community Forums-The Reading Public Schools will hold three community forums to give parents and the school community the opportunity to give input and hear updates on the district’s antibullying plan draft and the FY12 budget process. The dates and locations are as follows:
November 9 (6:30 p.m.)-Parker Middle School
November 16 (6:30 p.m.)-Killam Elementary School
November 29 (6:30 p.m.)-Superintendent’s Office
The first part of each meeting will focus on the antibullying plan and the second part of each meeting will focus on the FY12 budget process. All are welcome to attend.
- Connect Ed Test Message This Week-As part of our annual testing of the Connect Ed system, there will be a Connect Ed test message going out this week by email, text, and phone.
- Neighborhood Coffees-I have attended several neighborhood coffees so far and they have been very productive forums for dialogue about our schools. If you would like to host a neighborhood coffee, please contact Linda Engelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reading Public Schools recently highlighted in Education Week-The Reading Public School’s best practices of integrating technology and 21st Century Skills into the curriculum was recently highlighed in Education Week, a national newspaper which focuses on Education. You can access the article here.
Have a great week!